Otolaryngology is a department of Surgery in the Faculty of Medicine. It covers almost everything in the head and neck areas excluding disorders related to the brain and sight. Incidentally, many diseases related to the brain and vision also form our common field of interest. Considering the health disorders people are experiencing, the majority of them are related to our department. As the final decision of the UEMS Board, an international organization that we are a member of, our department consists of 7 different subdivisions. These are;
- Head and Neck Surgery: Otorhinolaryngology treats and deals with the benign or malignant tumours of the organs located in head and neck region such as mouth, tongue, palate, tonsils, salivary glands, nose and sinuses, nose, pharynx, larynx, oesophagus, thyroid gland and eyes.
- Otology/Neurotology: This department includes diseases related with ear and inner ear. Examples of diseases in this group include all kinds of external, middle and inner ear diseases, ear infections, hearing problems, tinnitus, dizziness and facial paralysis. In addition, sleep disorders are evaluated and apnoea, snoring detection, and surgical approaches can also be included in this department.
- Rhinology/Allergy: Mostly includes diseases related with nose and sinuses. Examples include rhinorrhea, nasal congestion, curvatures of the nasal bone, nasal polyps, allergy-related nose problems, sinusitis and nose bleeds.
- Paediatric Otorhinolaryngology: Otorhinolaryngology department is not only for grown-ups. The diseases related to our department is handled by otorhinolaryngology. Examples are congenital abnormalities, childhood nasal congestion, and open mouth while sleeping, frequent upper respiratory tract infections, hearing loss, silent ear infections, and fluid accumulation in the middle ear.
- Facial Plastic Reconstruction and Aesthetic Surgery: Any congenital or traumatic structural disorders in the head and neck region and the treatment of fractures are also included within the scope of the Otorhinolaryngology Department. In addition, auricle and deformities related to it, palpebrae, wrinkles on the face skin, ageing related prolapse of face and neck areas are also included in this field.
- Audiology/Vestibulotomy: Any congenital or acquired hearing loss, dizziness, imbalance complaints, facial paralysis are in within the scope of the otorhinolaryngology department. These type of diseases, whether medical, rehab or surgical, are treated by otorhinolaryngology doctors.
- Phoniatry and Communication Disorders: The deglutition and voice generation functions of the throat and diseases related to these functions are within the scope of otorhinolaryngology department. Examples include hoarseness, impaired and altered voice quality, speech disorders, swallowing disorders and reflux disease.
Dr. Suat Günsel University of Kyrenia Hospital Otorhinolaryngology Department Polyclinic
Dr. Suat Günsel University of Kyrenia Hospital provides services with modern units and experienced staff. In our department, we offer otorhinolaryngology related health services with various facilities.
In our polyclinic, we can examine various concealed areas such as the nose, nasal passage and throat with endoscopic systems using various cameras with different shapes and functionalities and document the records. With the help of photomicroscopy, detailed ear examinations and small surgical operations can be done. With the vocology laboratory being established, laryngeal functions can be measured with special sound analysers for all kinds of sound problems.
Otorhinolaryngology Department Audiovestibular Laboratory
In our audiology laboratory, all kinds of hearing tests, hearing traumas of new-born children, middle ear functions can be measured. Hearing function can be evaluated according to objective criteria by measuring electrical potential of brain stem. Speech and language therapies are provided.
With our established vestibular system laboratory, all kinds of balance functions can be investigated and diagnosed, follow-up and rehabilitation studies of patients with dizziness and unbalance can be done as well.
Otorhinolaryngology Department Operating Room.
With our variation of modern and rich equipment’s, we have the opportunity to operate with general anaesthesia every day. Very complicated and important operations such as cancer surgeries, ear microsurgery and nasal-paranasal sinus operations, sleep-related disorders such as apnoea and snoring are performed successfully. Various surgical interventions related with otorhinolaryngology are successfully performed in our department.
Otorhinolaryngology Intensive Care Unit and Inpatient Ward Services
Both our intensive care units and inpatient ward services offer treatment and care services with a foundation equipped with top of the line technological and modern equipment’s. In our rooms which are designed for individual accommodation, the comfort and close follow-up are provided with our experienced staff.
Education in Otorhinolaryngology Department
Our department is inevitably an important part of educational activities within Turkish and English Medical Faculties, Faculty of Health Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry and Vocational School of Health. About 500 students per year are given more than 1000 hours of lessons. Apart from this, our postgraduate training programs continue every week and we proudly represent our country and our university at national and international scientific meetings.