Urology is the department which studies urine and the male reproductive organ and the diseases as well as the treatments related to them. Kidneys, prostate, bladder, testicles are among the organs that are studied by urology. The department of urology studies common diseases in society such as kidney and urinary system stones, benign prostate enlargement, prostate cancer, kidney, bladder and testicle cancers, urinary tract infections and diseases like urinary incontinence.
The urologist is responsible for preventing the diseases of these systems but to be able to choose the most modern, effective and least damaging treatment for the patients when necessary by making accurate diagnoses.
Surgical methods are frequently used for the treatments of urological diseases. Open surgical methods used traditionally cause pain after operation, long staying periods at the hospital and delays the return for the patients to their daily lives due to large incisions. Also, large incision scars cause cosmetic problems for patients especially women.
Thanks to the recent technological advancements introduced into clinical use, devices which allow many urological operations to be performed with very small incisions, are even performed without incisions. Urology department of our hospital possess all the advanced technological facilities used all over the world to diagnose and treat all urological diseases allowing successful modern treatments.
Devices and Procedures in Our Urology Polyclinic:
- Ultrasonography: Urinary system scanning, inserting catheter with the USG device in the urology polyclinic when necessary, prostate screening with specialised probes and needle biopsy of the prostate when necessary,
- Uroflowmetry and urodynamic: Urinary flow rate tests for diseases which make urination difficult such as enlarged prostate and urethral stricture, as well as real time computerised measuring and evaluation of lower urinary system functions in some of the urinary incontinence cases,
- Bladder scan: Quickly measuring of the remaining urine in the bladder right after urination.
Diseases diagnosed and treated in our department:
Kidney and urinary system stones: All the current treatments from all over the world in treating kidney and urinary system stones are performed in our hospital.
- Breaking stones by using external shock waves: Stone treatment with the ESWL device in our hospital, it is possible to break appropriately located stones smaller than 2 cm externally with the ESWL method.
- Non-incision, laser kidney stone treatment (Retrograde Intrarenal Surgery, RIRS): Stones up to 2cm are treated successfully with the bendable ureteroscope and HO-Yag laser system in our clinic without any incisions on the skin allowing the patients to be discharged the next day.
- Percutaneous nephrolithotomy: Usually used for the treatment of stones bigger than 2 cm, an incision of 1 cm instead of the usual 10-15 cm is made and the devices transferred to the kidney allows stones as big as 3-4 cm to be broken. This procedure requires surgical experience and is offered in your hospital’s urology clinic.
- Open Stone Surgery: If the closed methods remain ineffective or inapplicable, open surgeries are performed successfully by our clinic’s experienced staff.
Benign prostate Hyperplasia (BPH):
- Accurate Diagnosis: BPH diagnosis and treatment is successfully performed in our clinic thanks to the ultrasonography and uroflowmetry devices.
- TUR-P (Closed Prostate operation, Transurethral resection of the prostate): The most advanced version of the “golden standard” of BPH treatment of today, TUR-P, is “Bipolar TUR-P” device and can be found in our clinic. It is done by entering from the urinary tract without making incisions and the patients are usually discharged within 2-3 days.
- Open Prostate Surgery: It is usually advised to patients whose prostates are bigger than 100 grams.
- Early Diagnosis and accurate stage: Thanks to methods like ultrasonography, prostate biopsy, computerised tomography, magnetic resonance imaging and bone scintigraphy, prostate Cancer diagnosis and staging can be accurately done.
- Right Treatment: “Radical Prostatectomy” surgery which can result in complete recovery in early stages of prostate cancer, is offered in our clinic.
“Prostate Radiotherapy” is offered in our hospital for patients who opt out of surgery or are inoperable.
- Closed Bladder Cancer Surgery: It is the operation of removing the cancerous tissue without making incisions on skin with TUR method on early stages.
- Radical cystectomy: Our clinic offers “Radical cystectomy” which is the only method which allows complete recovery in cases of bladder cancer moving into the bladder muscle and is one of the biggest surgeries of urology.
- Radical and Partial Nephrectomy: It is the removal of the kidney completely or partially; only the area affected by cancer. These operation can be performed laparoscopically, meaning they can be performed closed or openly in our clinic. If performed open these operations require 15-20 cm incisions on the skin but when performed closed, the biggest incision is 1-1.5 cm and the 3-4 smaller ones which are only 5 mm big.
- Radical orchiectomy: Our clinic offers the surgery which safely removes the afflicted testicle.
In cases where the illness has spread to other regions, retroperitoneal lymph nodes dissection is also offered.
Paediatric (Child) Urology
Our clinic offers diagnoses and treatments for all disorders for common childhood illnesses such as incontinence, hypospadias, undescended testicle, bladder leaking into kidney (vesicoureteral reflux), narrow kidney end (U-P narrowing).
Urinary Incontinence in Women
The most advanced urodynamic device is used among other modern methods for patients with urinary incontinence and TVT or TOT surgeries with small incisions are performed in our clinic if necessary.
Dr. Suat Günsel University of Kyrenia Hospital offers high quality diagnosis and treatment services in the Department of Urology and other branches as well. The diagnoses and treatments of diseases have high rate of success due to units equipped with modern technologies, experienced specialist and technical personnel.
Radiology is the most common method of diagnosis for Urology. Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Computerised Tomography (CT), ultrasonography and other conventional radiology devices are used with modern and digital devices for this purpose in our hospital’s Department of Radiology. Renal scintigraphy which is used for the diagnosis and monitoring of urological kidney diseases, Skeletal Scintigraphy and PET CT used for determining the stage of urological cancers, are performed in the Department of Nuclear Medicine and play an important role in diagnosing and monitoring diseases.
Dr. Suat Günsel University of Kyrenia Hospital Laboratory equipped with latest technological devices offer all departments as well as urology in immunological, genetic and other applications.
Dr. Suat Günsel University of Kyrenia Hospital offers technical equipment in operating theatres, instruments, devices, experienced staff and modern urological applications for the treatment of urological diseases.